Preparation For Penance
2. Be heartily sorry for my sins.
3. Make up my mind to sin no more.
4. Tell my sins to the priest.
5. Do the penance the priest gives me.
How To Make A Good Confession
1. Go into the confessional.
2. Kneel or sit.
3. Make the sign of the cross and
say, “Bless me, Father for I have sinned.”
4. Then say, “This is my first confession” or,
It has been ... (period of time), since my last confession.”
5. Say, “I am sorry for these and all the sins of my past life, especially for ... Confess (tell) sins to the priest. Tell mortal or “big” sins first.
6. Listen to what the priest tells you.
7. The priest gives you penance.
8. The priest asks you to say a good act of contrition. (Say it loud enough so he can hear you.)
9. Say The Act of Contrition.
10. The priest gives you absolution (forgiveness) and blesses you.
Make the sign of the cross and respond saying, “Amen.”
11. The priest says, “Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good.”
You respond, (say) “His mercy endures forever.”
12. The priest says, “Go in peace.”
You respond, (say) “Amen” or “Thank you, Father.”
13. Then leave the confessional.
14. Take some time to thank God, (at least 5 minutes) to say your penance, and to think how you can do better and tell Him how much you love Him.